While dental implants have been around for many years, many people may still have misconceptions about them. Patients who are missing one or more teeth and are eager to restore the gap in their smile may benefit from more details to make an informed decision.
There are many ideal solutions for restoring your smile, but only one can replace your entire tooth and its root.
Dental bridges and dentures complete your smile and restore biting and eating function while preventing teeth from shifting, but they rest along the gumline.
Without a root to activate and anchor the jaw bone every time you bite down, the bone starts to fade away and recede. Dental implants restore your bone health and encourage bone growth, which is the optimal long-term solution for anyone with a missing tooth.
This is the most significant benefit to dental implants: preventing further tooth loss. Once the dental implant has fused to your jaw bone and healed, it is as much a part of your oral structure as your natural teeth are.
Your Tooth Replacement Options
To really see the value that dental implants bring to your life, it's helpful to compare them to other tooth-replacement options.
- While dentures do restore your chewing ability, it's a mere 10 percent compared to dental implant's 90 percent.
- Dentures can shift and fall out, which can be problematic and embarrassing when eating or speaking. Only implant-support dentures are anchored to your jawbone.
- Since the jawbone recedes and changes the shape of your mouth, your dentures will need to be adjusted for a better fit.
- Dental implants are low-maintenance and don't require special tools to maintain and clean.
- Dental bridges last between five to 15 years, whereas dental implants are a permanent investment.
- Dental implants are the only option that protects healthy bone density and growth.
- Bone loss eventually leads to further tooth loss.
Contact Us with Your Dental Implant Questions
We love answering questions about dental implants at our Charlotte, NC dental office. Please call Dr. Harlow and his friendly dental staff today!