Dental Implants in Steele Creek, Charlotte
Tooth loss can happen for many reasons.
Most of us expect to keep our teeth for a lifetime, but it doesn’t always happen that way. According to data published by the American College of Prosthodontists, almost 2 million people have one tooth missing. There are many others who end up losing all their teeth.
If you are missing one or more teeth, you have options for replacement. Dentures are one of the most common ways to replace missing teeth.
But the very best choice for replacing one or more missing teeth is dental implants. Dental implants are the tooth replacement option that is closest to your natural teeth.
Don’t put it off. Find out more about what dental implants can do for you. Give Dr. H. Justin Harlow of Harlow Dental at Steele Creek a call to learn more about this life-changing treatment.
What Are Dental Implants?
The very first dental implants can be traced all the way back to 600 AD and the ancient Mayans. Those primitive tooth replacements are a far cry from the safe, effective dental implants we have today, however!
Dental implants consist of a cylindrical post that is usually made of titanium, which is a material that is well-accepted by the body. It is positioned in the jawbone to take the place of your missing tooth root. Eventually, the implant post will integrate into your jawbone so it is permanent.
A dental crown is placed on top of the dental implant to form the replacement tooth. The crown is made to match the rest of your teeth and will blend in seamlessly.
Dental implants are permanent, so they will not move or shift the way dentures do. Dental implants enable recipients to chew, eat, speak, and laugh just as they did with their natural teeth.
Why Are Dental Implants Considered the Best Option for Tooth Replacement?
- A dental implant looks and functions very similarly to natural teeth—much more so than dentures.
- Dental implants can last an entire lifetime if they are taken care of properly
- Dental implants are permanent structures that become integrated into the jawbone, so there is no worry about moving or slipping as can occur with dentures.
- Dental implants help maintain healthy jawbone density. They stimulate the jawbone the same way the natural tooth root does. The sunken look that befalls most denture wearers after years of dentures does not happen with dental implant recipients.
- There are no chewing restrictions with dental implants, so you can enjoy all your favorite foods.
How Should I Care for My Dental Implants?
Taking care of your implants is easy. Just as you would with your natural teeth, brush at least twice and floss once each day, and see your dentist twice each year for examinations and cleanings.
You can’t get cavities in your dental implants, but they should be checked out by your dentist on a regular basis. And remember, it’s important to keep those gums healthy!
Find Out More about Dental Implants
Come in for a consultation at Harlow Dental at Steele Creek to find out more about why dental implants are the best replacement for missing teeth. Give us a call today!